Cynthia began doing genealogy about 1992 and started taking occasional clients at the request of the local library in 1995. She is an avid genealogist and volunteers locally. She has been project leader for many indexing projects with local societies. She lectures on a variety of topics. After rigorous evaluation of her work, she has attained the credential Certified Genealogist®. This means she will work to the Genealogy Proof Standards as set forth by the Board for Certification of Genealogists® and adhere to its code of ethics.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing 1978 (retired)
- Frequent attendance at Ohio Genealogical Society Conference
- Over a decade of attendance at Salt Lake Christmas Tour
- Attendance at many lectures and webinars
- Foundations of Forensic Genealogy Institute 2012
- Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh 2016 (DNA), 2017 (Law), 2021 (Intermediate Forensics)
- Attended seminars by many nationally known speakers and educators
Cynthia’s lines stretch to Wales, Scotland, England, Switzerland, and Germany. She has many early American ancestors. 28 of her ancestors are proven for Ohio Genealogical Society lineage societies, 13 in Cuyahoga County [Ohio] Lineage Societies, and 2 in First Families of Lake County.
Turk, Cynthia, project chair. History Hall of Lake County, Ohio Fairgrounds, A Biographical Anthology. Painesville, Ohio: Lake County Genealogical Society, 2014.
Turk, Cynthia. “How to Plan a Library Research Trip . . . and Make it Really Special.” Ohio Genealogy News, Bellville, Ohio, Winter 2012, 18-19.
Turk, Cynthia. Scranton Road Cemetery, Cleveland, Ohio: Introduction, Inscriptions, Interments. Willoughby, Ohio: Cynthia Turk, 2004. (A few copies are left.)
Many newsletter articles for Lake County Genealogical Society and Ohio Genealogical Society
- Cleveland District Round Table, now part of Cuyahoga OHGenWeb
- Co-Host of Cuyahoga County OHGenWeb https://usgenwebsites.org/OHCuyahoga/
- Lake County OHGenWeb https://usgenwebsites.org/OHLake/
- Lake County Genealogical Society, President (4 non-consecutive terms)
- Ohio Genealogical Society life member
- Lake County Historical Society life member
- NorthEast Ohio Computer-Aided Genealogy Society, Past President
- Several other locality Genealogical and Historical Societies
- National Genealogical Society
- New England Historic Genealogical Society
- Association for Professional Genealogists life member
- Board for Certification of Genealogists®
- FamilySearch indexer, reviewer ― over 200,000 records
- UnclaimedPersons.org – finding next of kin for coroners
- Subscriber to many genealogy websites
- “Cynthia in the News” – October 2014 Springboard bio by Judy Kellar Fox, CG
The words Certified Genealogist and its short form, CG are registered certification marks, of the Board for Certification of Genealogists®, used under license by board certificants following competency evaluations. Certificate No. 1046, expires 23 May 2024.